Will Smith is reportedly working on his big movie comeback following his much-discussed controversy over the Oscars in March when he punched Chris Rock onstage.
The 53-year-old actor, who was banned from attending the Academy Awards for a decade, is reportedly taking matters into his own hands with a self-produced sequel to his 2007 film, I Am Legend, through his company Westbrook Media.
An insider told The Sun: “The script is being written with reference to his character and so far Will remains attached to the project.
Rebound: Will Smith ‘makes his big movie comeback with the self-produced I Am Legend sequel’…after the controversy over his Chris Rock Oscars (pictured in character)
The draft has yet to be signed by Warner Brothers, but there is no indication Will is off the project.
“Obviously he is the producer of the film and his production company is in charge as development continues. And Will himself is undergoing therapy and taking time away from the spotlight.”
The ensuing dystopian picture would see the star of The Fresh Prince Of Bel Air return to his role as Robert Neville, who is working to heal a zombie apocalypse in New York.
The Francis Lawrence-directed film revolved around the story of the scientist and the last human survivor of a plague.
Shocking: After being banned from attending the Academy Awards for a decade, the 53-year-old actor is reportedly taking matters into his own hands with a self-produced sequel to his 2007 film, I Am Legend, through his company Westbrook Media (pictured in March 2022)
In the film, Will’s character tries to undo the effects of the virus by using his own immune blood.
Sources have claimed that Oscar-winning screenwriter Akiva Goldsman, who adapted Richard Matheson’s 1954 novel into the first film, will include Richard’s character in the script.
MailOnline has reached out to representatives for Will and Akiva, as well as Westbrook Media for comment.
It comes after Jada Pinkett Smith directly addressed her husband Will and slammed comedian Chris in-depth for the first time at the Oscars, saying she hopes the two men have a “chance to heal” and “reconcile” after the shocking incident.
Sorry: Will attacked Chris, 57, after he joked about Jada’s bald head, which is the result of her autoimmune disease (pictured March 2022)
Ahead of a Red Table Talk special on alopecia released Wednesday, Jada, 50, began hinting at the controversy when Will attacked Chris, 57, after making a joke about Jada’s bald head, which is a result of her suffering. to the autoimmune disease.
“This is a very important Red Table Talk on alopecia. Given what I’ve been through with my own health and what happened at the Oscars,” the actress began.
‘Thousands have approached me with their stories. I’m taking this moment to give our alopecia family a chance to talk about what it’s like to have this condition and educate people about what alopecia actually is.
Addressing the infamous blow, Jada said, “As for Oscar night, my deepest hope is that these two intelligent, capable men will have a chance to heal, talk this out and reconcile.
She continued: ‘The state of the world today, we need them both. And we all really need each other more than ever. Until then, Will and I will continue to do what we’ve been doing for the past 28 years, which is inventing what we call life together. Thanks for listening.’
After the incident, he saw Will partying all night with his family at the Vanity Fair Oscars bash, dancing to his own song Gettin’ Jiggy Wit It as the crowd cheered him on.
However, a few days later, he apologized in an official statement saying his behavior was “unacceptable and unforgivable” and “embarrassed.”
“Violence in all its forms is poisonous and destructive,” he wrote.
Hopeful: An insider said: ‘The script is being written citing his character and so far Will remains attached to the project’ (pictured with wife Jada Pinkett Smith in March 2022)
“My behavior at last night’s Academy Awards was unacceptable and unforgivable. Jokes at my expense are part of the job, but a joke about Jada’s medical condition was too much for me and I reacted emotionally.
“I want to apologize to you publicly, Chris. I was out of line and I was wrong. I am ashamed and my actions were not indicative of the man I want to be. There is no place for violence in a world of love and kindness.’
Chris has not responded to Will’s apology, but has since referenced the blow several times during his stand-up appearances.
Last month Chris joked that he “got most of my hearing back” after the blow, during a set at London’s Royal Albert Hall.
After a formal review of the incident in April, Will was banned from the Oscars for 10 years, but was allowed to keep the Best Actor award he won for King Richard.
In a statement, the Academy denounced his “unacceptable” and “harmful” behavior that “overshadowed” the entire evening.
‘During our broadcast, we did not adequately address the situation in the room. We’re sorry. This was an opportunity for us to set an example for our guests, viewers and our Academy family around the world, and we came up short — unprepared for the unprecedented.
“The Board has resolved that, for a period of 10 years beginning April 8, 2022, Mr. Smith will not be permitted to attend any Academy events or programs in person or virtually, including but not limited to the Academy Awards.
“We want mr. Thank you very much to Rock for keeping his composure under extraordinary circumstances. We would also like to thank our hosts, nominees, presenters and winners for their poise and grace during our broadcast.”
Speaking: It comes after Jada addresses her husband Will in depth for the first time at the Oscars