Turkish restaurant goes up in flames in Sydney

A popular Sydney restaurant has gone up in flames after a deep fryer caught fire.

Cleveland Street in Surry Hills was closed Saturday night after the fire at the Turkish restaurant Erciyes.

A resident of the unit above had to jump out of the window onto the awning after a police officer ran upstairs to wake him up.

Cleveland Street in Surry Hills was closed last night after the fire at the Turkish restaurant Erciyes. (Nine)

A guard from the neighboring Pharmacy Warehouse got the man down safely before he was taken to hospital.

Owner Eren Saracoglu was treated for smoke inhalation but was annoyed by the damage to the restaurant.

“I grew up in this shop, my father has owned it for about 40 years,” he said.

“I’ve been running it for the past five years, so yeah, it’s a bit devastating.”

Cleveland Street in Surry Hills was closed last night after the fire at the Turkish restaurant Erciyes.
Owner Eren Saracoglu was treated for smoke inhalation but was more upset by the damage to the restaurant. (Nine)

The fire caused thousands of dollars in damage.

NSW Fire and Rescue warned people to check their smoke detectors.

“Being asleep on a Sunday morning is a great day to sleep in, but it’s very hard to wake up when the smoke detectors aren’t doing the job for you,” said Paul Sharratt of NSW Fire and Rescue.

Leave a Comment