Thousands still without power after strong winds

Thousands were left without power overnight in Ontario after wind gusts gusted up to 90 kilometers per hour on Saturday.

The Toronto Hydro storm center reported that nearly 5,000 downtown customers lost power from south of Shuter Street to Harbourfront by Saturday afternoon. About 500 customers along Royal York Road between Bloor Street and Lake Shore Boulevard also experienced power outages.

By Saturday afternoon, Toronto Hydro said power had been restored to most customers.

But Hydro One warned that 12,000 customers in southern, central and eastern Ontario could be without power overnight as work continued to get the lights back on.

The utility previously said that more than 38,000 customers were without power on Saturday.

Toronto police said the swirling wind toppled trees and swept hydro wires and road signs to the ground.

Construction debris and metal pieces also fell from tall buildings on dpwntown streets, posing a danger to the public, police said.

Lucas Alexopoulos, an Environment Canada development meteorologist, said a peak wind gust of 60 miles per hour was recorded in Windsor on Saturday.

Affected Hydro One customers can visit the power supplier’s disruption map to see the extent of service interruptions in their area of ​​residence.

With files from The Canadian Press

Edward Djan is a breaking news reporter working out of the radio room of the Star in Toronto. Follow him on Twitter: @EdwardDjan1

JOIN THE CONVERSATION

Conversations are opinions of our readers and are subject to the Code of Conduct. The Star does not endorse these views.

Leave a Comment