South Sydney Rabbitohs defeated Manly Sea Eagles 40-22 after Karl Lawton was sent off for a dangerous pitch

Manly’s Karl Lawton is just the second player to be sent off for a dangerous pitch since the Super League war, before South Sydney overthrew the Sea Eagles 40-22 in Gosford.

On a disastrous night for Manly, second rower Lawton was marched after just eight minutes when a tackle on Rabbitohs captain Cameron Murray went awry.

Defending his own line, Lawton wrapped his arms around the waist of the Souths lock, only for momentum to send Murray head first into the turf.

There was no hand between his legs, but it took umpire Grant Atkins and the bunker about a minute to send him off the field.

The drama came just four days after referee Adam Gee was dropped for failing to screw up Sydney Roosters winger Daniel Tupou for a high shot at Mikaele Ravalawa.

In doing so, Lawton joined Canberra star Nick Cotric and became the only players to be fired for a dangerous pitch during the NRL era.

But despite spending 72 minutes with only 12 men and Brad Parker losing to injury, Manly somehow stayed in the fray and threatened to become the first team since they won in 2008 while taking a man out of the first. left half.

They shot to a 10-2 lead 13 minutes after Lawton was ejected, and also refused to leave when they trailed 30-16 early in the second half.

Daly Cherry-Evans in particular kicked brilliantly to keep the Sea Eagles in the game, while Josh Schuster was back at his most dangerous level from an ankle injury in his first game.

Kieran Foran also scored a try and set up another when he and Reuben Garrick were injured while Manly stalled in the match.

But in the end, the fatigue got the better of them, their defenses gave way, and people like Cody Walker were too dominant.

Walker was in his 150th game and took one himself when rookie Isaiah Tass got a ball out of the back after halftime.

The pair had also previously paired up for a siren-only attempt at halftime, while Alex Johnston also claimed one on the dangerous left rim when he double-stepped opposite number Jason Saab.

Tom Burgess and Murray also took attempts through Manly’s tired centre, in the second half, while Blake Taaffe crossed the line for his first of the year on the siren to place the Rabbitohs in the top eight.

Imperious Panthers Continue to Win Over Titans

It wasn’t pretty, but Penrith kept their NRL title defense on track with an 18-4 win over a stubborn Gold Coast.

The undefeated Panthers seemed upset at times against the battling hosts, but held on to their undefeated season start to eight straight after Nathan Cleary inspired a second-half resurgence.

The Panthers had to work hard for their Gold Coast victory.Getty Images: Chris Hyde

The Titans looked vulnerable after losing four of their last six games, including the last three.

Still, they were more than a game on Friday night, despite surprise calls for X-factor David Fifita to be relegated to the bench after the previous round’s failed transfer to the centres.

In the end, Cleary proved the difference after the Titans took a surprising 4-0 lead at halftime.

Showing his class, he squirmed Izack Tago to score his sixth try in eight games in the 43rd minute.

He then paired up with hulking backrower Viliame Kikau before scoring himself four minutes later to threaten the expected blow.

It didn’t come, but Penrith’s juggernaut still rumbled on as Cleary squirmed into Jarome Luai to score in the 74th minute.

Penrith’s win marked the first time in history that a team had won its first eight games in consecutive seasons.

Gold Coast had an unlikely lead at the main break after a clear first half.

Frustrated by Gold Coast, Penrith appeared to have drawn first blood in the 22nd minute, but fullback Dylan Edwards was denied after the video referee ruled Cleary Moeaki had hindered Fotuaika in the run-up.

Both sides exchanged plenty of mistakes before the Titans finally broke through thanks to a brilliance from surprise bank starter Fifita.

Fifita cut through Penrith close to the line and kept the ball alive before winger Greg Marzhew gobbled up Will Smith’s pinpoint kick and went down in the 38th minute.

Cleary’s two-point field goal was brushed aside at halftime, ending a forgettable first stanza with 11 errors, six of which were by the defending Prime Ministers.



Leave a Comment