Russian President Vladimir Putin has vowed to step up attacks on the supply of long-range weapons from the United States to Ukraine. One person was injured after cruise missiles from Russian Tu-95 strategic bombers hit railway infrastructure in the outskirts of Kiev. Black smoke billowed over the Ukrainian capital after the launch of cruise missiles from the Caspian Sea, according to the Times.
However, it is believed that the attack did not result in any deaths.
The Ukrainian government has urged allies in the West to impose further sanctions on Russia in response to the strike.
Mykhailo Podolyak, an adviser to President Volodymyr Zelensky, said: “The Kremlin is resorting to new insidious attacks.
“Today’s rocket attacks on Kiev have only one goal: to kill as many as possible.”
JUST IN: Outraged Ukraine rages Erdogan as Turkey accused of buying STOLEN supplies
Ukraine’s state-run nuclear power plant, Energoatom, also claimed a missile flew “critically low” over the country’s second-largest power plant in Pivdennoukrainska.
The company said: “[Russia’s armed forces] still don’t understand that even the smallest fragment of a missile hitting a working power source can cause a nuclear disaster and radiation leak.”
However, Russia has confirmed that it has used long-range missiles to destroy armored vehicles supplied to Ukrainian forces by allies in the West.
After Ukraine received a new batch of high-powered missiles from the United States, Putin said: “If they are actually delivered, we will draw appropriate conclusions and use our own weapons of destruction, which we have in sufficient quantities, to launch attacks on targets we don’t hit yet.”
READ MORE: Putin warns Russia of imminent launch of Satan-2 after airstrikes ‘fail’
Joe Biden confirmed last week that the US would send M142 high-mobility artillery rocket systems to Ukraine.
The 46th US president also seemed to rule out sending longer-range missiles to Ukraine, fearing it could heighten tensions between NATO and Russia.
However, the missile strikes on the Ukrainian capital have not yet been picked up in the Defense Ministry’s intelligence update.
In a statement published on June 5, Defense said: “Over the past 24 hours, Ukrainian forces have launched a counter-attack in the disputed city of Sieverodonetsk in eastern Ukraine, boosting the operational momentum Russian forces had previously gained through concentration of combat units and firepower, probably has been weakened.
Religion Putin: does the Russian president believe in God? [ANALYSIS]
NATO membership: is Denmark in alliance? [EXPLAINER]
Russia’s ‘Five Hands’ That Could Cause Nuclear Armageddon [INSIGHT]
“Russian forces deployed in this area include personnel mobilized from the reserve of the Russian-led separatist forces of the self-proclaimed Luhansk People’s Republic.
“These troops are poorly equipped and trained and lack heavy equipment compared to regular Russian units.
“The use of infantry troops near the city for clearance operations is a Russian tactic previously observed in Syria, where Russia deployed the Syrian Army’s V Corps to attack urban areas.
“This approach probably reflects a desire to limit casualties suffered by regular Russian troops.”