Skip to content
Kiev and Moscow again accused each other of bombing the Ukraine’s Zaporizhzhya nuclear power plant, Europe’s largest, which is controlled by Russia and was the target of multiple attacks a week ago.
“Reduce your presence on the streets of Energodar. We have received information about new provocations” from the Russians, the Ukrainian group “Energoatum”, which operates the station, said on the Telegram website, in response to a message from a local official in the city where the station is located, he remained faithful to Kiev.
The company added that “according to the testimony of residents, the bombing of the Zaporizhia nuclear power plant was restarted (…) the time interval between the launch and the arrival of the strikes is 3-5 seconds.”
For their part, the authorities, which Russia has set up in the areas it controls in the Zaporizhzhya region, accused Ukrainian forces of being behind the attacks.
“Energodar and the Zaporizhia Nuclear Power Plant are being bombed again by militants” from Ukraine, Vladimir Rogov, a member of the pro-Russian government, told Telegram.
He explained that the projectiles fell “in areas located between the banks of the Dnieper River and the station”, with no indication of casualties or damage.
Zaporizhia station has been bombed for a week, with the two sides accusing each other of being behind it, raising fears of a nuclear disaster and calling for a UN Security Council meeting on Thursday.
On August 5, the strikes hit a power line, shutting down reactor No. 3 of Europe’s largest nuclear power plant and operating emergency generators.
Thursday’s latest strikes damaged a gas station and sensors to measure radioactivity.
The Ukrainian authorities, supported by their Western allies, demanded the establishment of a demilitarized zone around Zaporizhzhya and the withdrawal of Russian troops that have controlled the site since March last year.