Superstar singer Ricky Martin faces a restraining order in Puerto Rico.
The order was signed on Friday. Authorities visited an upscale neighborhood in the northern coastal town of Dorado, where Martin lives, to try and fulfill the order, police spokesman Axel Valencia told The Associated Press on Saturday.
Martin’s representative denied the allegations in a statement to USA TODAY.
“The allegations against Ricky Martin that led to a protective order are completely false and fabricated,” the statement said. “We are confident that when the real facts in this case come out, our client Ricky Martin will be fully vindicated.”
It was not immediately known who had applied for the restraining order. Valencia said he was unable to provide further details because the warrant was filed under Puerto Rico’s domestic violence law.
“So far the police have not been able to find him,” Valencia noted.
According to El Vocero, a Puerto Rico newspaper, the order states that Martin and the other party dated for seven months. The report cites the warrant stating that they broke up two months ago, but the petitioner says Martin did not accept the divorce and was seen at least three times near the petitioner’s home.
“The petitioner fears for his safety,” El Vocero quoted the order as saying.
AP has not received a copy of the order.
Valencia said the injunction prohibits Martin from contacting or calling the person who filed it and a judge will determine at a later date during a hearing whether the injunction should remain in effect or be revoked. He added that orders are usually fulfilled for at least a month.
Valencia noted that the person who requested the restraining order did not contact the police, which allegedly led prosecutors to determine whether there was enough evidence to press charges. Instead, the request went straight to court.
In 2018, Martin revealed that he was married to his longtime friend, artist Jwan Yosef. The couple went into quarantine with their four children and Martin’s mother in the early days of the pandemic.
“Your self-esteem is so affected when you go on social media and see everyone working out, but the last thing I want to do is pick up a barbell,” Martin told USA TODAY in June 2020. “We have a small room where my husband works out and I walk by, say hello and walk on. Right now I’m just not where I am.”
Last summer, Martin told People that the couple hoped to have more children.
Martin’s former manager, Rebecca Drucker, sued the singer last week for $3 million in unpaid commissions, according to legal documents obtained by multiple publications, including Variety and Deadline.
Contributing: Danica Coto, The Associated Press and Kim Willis, USA TODAY