Ricky Martin denies restraining charges

San Juan, Puerto Rico — Puerto Rican superstar Ricky Martin on Sunday denied charges that led to a restraining order against him, with police noting that he has not been charged with any crime.

Police said on Saturday that a judge had issued the warrant against Martin, but authorities trying to enforce the warrant were unable to locate the singer in the Puerto Rican city of Dorado, where he lives. The warrant was filed under Puerto Rico’s domestic violence law and police spokesman Axel Valencia said he was unable to provide further details, including who requested the warrant.

Martin said in a tweet that the injunction is based on “completely false” allegations and that he will go to trial “with the responsibility that characterizes me”.

“I appreciate the countless gestures of solidarity and I receive them with all my heart,” he wrote.

He said that as it was an open legal matter, he was unable to comment further.

Martin’s representatives previously issued a statement describing the allegations as “completely false and fabricated”.

“We are confident that when the real facts in this case come out, our client Ricky Martin will be fully vindicated,” they said in a statement shared with The Associated Press.

El Vocero, a Puerto Rico newspaper, said the warrant stated that Martin and the other person dated for seven months. The report cites the warrant stating that they split up two months ago, but the petitioner says Martin did not accept the divorce and was seen at least three times near the petitioner’s home.

“The petitioner fears for his safety,” El Vocero quoted the order as saying.

AP has not received a copy of the order.

Leave a Comment