Police: Carbon monoxide killed 3 tourists in Bahamas resort

San Juan, Puerto Rico — Carbon monoxide poisoning killed three American tourists who were found dead in a resort in the Bahamas in May, police said on Tuesday.

Authorities gave no further details and said the deaths are still under investigation.

The victims had been identified as Michael Phillips, 68, and Robbie Phillips, 65, of Tennessee; and Vincent Chiarella, 64, of Florida.

Chiarella’s wife, Donnis Chiarella, 65, was found alive and flown to New Providence for medical treatment, then transferred to a Florida hospital. Her condition was not immediately known.

The couples stayed in separate villas next to each other in the same building at the Sandals Emerald Bay resort on the island of Exuma. It was not clear if the villas had carbon monoxide detectors and if so, if they worked.

Police have said all four tourists went to a doctor the night before their bodies were discovered and complained of feeling ill.

In a statement released a month ago, Sandals said the deaths were “in no way related to the resort’s air conditioning system, food and beverage, landscaping, or malice.”

It was not immediately clear what the source of carbon monoxide was that killed the tourists. Neither Sandals nor the Bahamian police immediately returned messages for comment.

Sandals said carbon monoxide detectors have since been installed in all rooms at Sandals Emerald Bay and will be installed elsewhere in all rooms.

“We have taken additional steps, such as engaging environmental safety experts for a comprehensive assessment of all systems in the resort,” the company said.

The deaths come seven years after a Delaware family became seriously ill at a resort in the US Virgin Islands. U.S. authorities determined that methyl bromide, a highly toxic pesticide banned for indoor use in 1984, was to blame and had been used multiple times at that resort.

Leave a Comment