Ontario’s COVID-19 hospitalizations rise to 1,662 with 28 more reported deaths

The number of COVID-19 hospitalizations in Ontario rose again on Wednesday to 1,662, the highest number ever reported during the province’s sixth wave of the pandemic.

Of those patients, about 45 percent were admitted because of the disease, while about 55 percent were already in the hospital when they tested positive, the health ministry said.

The total number of ICU admissions fell slightly from a sixth wave high of 206 to 203. Fully 60 percent of those people were sent directly to ICU because of COVID-19.

The Department of Health also reported the deaths of 28 more people with COVID, the highest number in one day in two weeks.

Limited lab tests confirmed another 1,073 cases of the virus. Public Health Ontario reported a 16.8 percent positivity rate of 21,988 completed PCR tests.

The total number of active cases of COVID-19 in Ontario fell for the fourth day in a row, to 31,080. Ontario’s pandemic advice table said last week that, based on wastewater data, the ongoing sixth wave may have peaked. However, it warned that gatherings over the Easter long weekend could lead to another temporary surge in active cases.

Meanwhile, public health departments administered an additional 40,643 doses of COVID-19 vaccines on Tuesday, most of which were second booster shots for eligible Ontarios ages 60 and older. More than 87 percent of Ontarios ages 12 and older have had at least two doses of vaccines.

Leave a Comment