Olly Alexander Hits Backlash Because His Shows Aren’t ‘Family Friendly’

Olly Alexander has hit back at “pearl-gripping” fans after revealing that his latest shows were met with a backlash for not being “family-friendly enough.”

The 31-year-old singer, who is known onstage as Years and Years, admitted to dropping out during his Night Call tour and described the response to his shows as “annoying.”

He said he was hit with complaints from some onlookers after performing in Nottingham, saying he finds the criticism frustrating because his shows are ‘not explicit’.

Criticism: Olly Alexander has hit back at ‘pearly run’ fans after revealing his shows were greeted with a backlash for not being ‘family-friendly enough’

“I’m an ‘in your face’ type gay because I want to be,” he told Metro’s Guilty Pleasures column. “It’s always accompanied by a bit of mother-of-pearl, which I like.”

Speaking about the complaints after his Nottingham leg of the tour, he added: “I know a few of them said it wasn’t ‘family friendly enough’.”

Earlier this year, the actor was hit with complaints that his BBC New Years Eve concert was too sexy, but he claimed the criticism came because of his sexuality.

He said, “It’s because I’m gay, but it’s kind of stupid to attribute all that, because it’s about more than sexuality, it’s about how we interact with each other.”

Backlash: The 31-year-old singer, known onstage as Years and Years, admitted to dropping out during his Night Call tour and described the criticism of his shows as

Backlash: The 31-year-old singer, known onstage as Years and Years, admitted to dropping out during his Night Call tour and described the criticism of his shows as “annoying”

His latest tour comes after Olly became a solo act last year after Mikey Goldsworthy and Emre Turkmen retired from Years and Years.

The three piece group was originally formed as a band of five in 2010, but now has only Olly, who releases Years and Years music as a solo act.

Olly’s seven-day UK tour kicked off last month in Brighton and ended in Glasgow on 25 June.

On Thursday night, he gave a dazzling performance as he took the stage at Wembley Arena.

Walkouts: He said he was hit by complaints from some audience members after his show in Nottingham and said he finds it frustrating as he insisted his show isn't 'explicit'

Walkouts: He said he was hit by complaints from some audience members after his show in Nottingham and said he finds it frustrating as he insisted his show isn’t ‘explicit’

Before the show, he made sure to captivate the audience as he donned a mesh bodysuit with thigh-high leather boots.

With cut outs and lace detailing, Olly completed his look with a set of chunky silver rings and a necklace.

He continued to rock his bleached blond brows with his signature copper locks shaved into a short four-row skin fade on top of his head.

The musician pulled out all the stops as he danced around the stage, surrounded by quirky-dressed backing dancers.

Solo: His final tour comes after Olly became a solo act last year after Mikey Goldsworthy and Emre Turkmen dropped out of Years and Years

Solo: His final tour comes after Olly became a solo act last year after Mikey Goldsworthy and Emre Turkmen dropped out of Years and Years

Earlier this month, the BBC was accused of overlooking Olly as the UK’s Eurovision entrant over a ‘grossly unfair’ deal with the contest’s voters.

The Mail on Sunday learned that the vocalist of the band Years & Years has stepped forward to represent the nation in this year’s competition.

But the 31-year-old performer, who has been widely acclaimed for his role in Channel 4’s HIV drama It’s A Sin, was ‘dismayed’ to learn that only stars selected by London management firm TaP were eligible for selection. .

The Corporation’s deal appointing TaP to lead the search for the British entrant meant that Alexander, who is signed to Polydor, was not considered.

Passed by: Earlier this month, the BBC was accused of overlooking Olly as the UK's Eurovision entrant over a 'grossly unfair' deal with the contest's voters

Passed by: Earlier this month, the BBC was accused of overlooking Olly as the UK’s Eurovision entrant over a ‘grossly unfair’ deal with the contest’s voters

Instead, TikTok star Sam Ryder went to Italy for the final and secured the UK second place after years of ‘zero points’.

One music manager said: ‘With his stage presence and personality he [Olly] would have been a good choice.

“It’s fair to say he was pretty deflated. I don’t think they’ll use the same methods again, because that’s just plain unfair.

“The only reassuring thing is that Olly has been told he has a good chance of being selected if he puts his name forward next year, as long as the rules change.”

Eurovision Song Contest: TikTok star Sam Ryder (pictured) instead went to Italy for the final and secured the UK second place after years of 'zero points'

Eurovision Song Contest: TikTok star Sam Ryder (pictured) instead went to Italy for the final and secured the UK second place after years of ‘zero points’

Leave a Comment