Four women, while peacefully eating a barbecue restaurant in China’s northern Hebei province, were attacked by a group of men after one of the women rejected an advance.
Nine men have been arrested in the attack, although it sparked outrage thanks to surveillance footage posted to the Chinese social media site Weibo, The Associated Press reported.
The footage shows the women chatting and sniffing around a table full of food, when one of the men approaches the table and places his hand on one of their backs.
She rejects him several times, but he apparently didn’t think it was the right answer as he started beating her into a frenzy. She defended herself and that fight turned into a brawl. More guys entered the restaurant and attacked all four women, pushing, kicking and throwing a chair.
Then these charmers dragged out the woman who had initially stood up for herself and continued to beat her. Few intervened, and one who did, a woman, was flung onto the restaurant steps and hit her head, The Wall Street Journal reported.
The person who released the videos declined to tell The Associated Press how they got the footage. On Sunday, the portion of the attack from the restaurant had been viewed more than 68 million times and the attack on the street was removed.
As it happens
Get updates on the coronavirus pandemic and other news as it happens with our free email alerts for breaking news.
The instant views did not include reposts, The Wall Street Journal noted, also noting that one of the hashtags related to the incident was viewed nearly 2.8 billion times as people checked for updates and posted more than 2 million comments. .
The incident happened in the early hours of Friday morning and the suspected perpetrators were arrested on Saturday.
The women dined all night at a restaurant known as “Barbecue Street,” a favorite hangout among young people, according to The Wall Street Journal. People are just starting to get out of the lockdown.
Tangshan police said on Friday that two of the women had been hospitalized in stable condition with non-life-threatening injuries, and two others had suffered minor injuries.
The incident sparked widespread debate and public anger across China over the questionable lack of security, as well as systemic violence against women in China, CNN reported.
The criminal investigation has been handed over to Langfang, another city in Hebei, Langfang police said late Saturday, according to CNN — a move reserved for sensitive or important cases, or those involving gangs.
With News Wire Services