The tennis star, who will play in the Wimbledon quarterfinals on Wednesday, is accused of assaulting his former partner Chiara Passari.
Nick Kyrgios is accused of assaulting his ex-girlfriend.
The 27-year-old is due to appear in court next month in Canberra.
The maximum penalty for ordinary assault is two years in prison.
The tennis star, who will play in the quarterfinals of Wimbledon on Wednesday evening, is accused of having grabbed his ex-partner Chiara Passari.
“ACT Policing can confirm that a 27-year-old Watson man is to appear before the ACT Magistrates Court on August 2 on one charge of ordinary assault following an incident in December 2021,” police said on Tuesday.
Barrister Jason Moffett told the Canberra Times that Kyrgios was aware of the charges.
“It’s in the context of a domestic relationship,” Mr Moffett said.
“The nature of the allegation is serious and Mr Kyrgios takes the allegation very seriously.
“As the case is pending … he has no comment at this time, but we will issue a press release in due course.”
Kyrgios was approached by reporters after practicing at Wimbledon on Tuesday.
He didn’t answer any of his questions, but said to one of his teammates, “I feel like I’m in the final dance,” as if it seems to refer to a scene from the Michael Jordan documentary where he was surrounded by a large contingent. media .
Kyrgios also posted a photo on Instagram showing him interacting with a young girl at Wimbledon.
“This is why I play. To all my youngsters out there, believe in yourself,” he captioned the image, alongside a heart emoji.
The All England Club, which leads the Wimbledon tournament, has released a statement confirming Kyrgios’ quarter-finals will go ahead.
“We have been made aware of legal proceedings involving Nick Kyrgios in Australia and as these are ongoing we are unable to comment,” the statement said. “We are in contact with Nick’s team and he is still scheduled to play his quarterfinals tomorrow.”
Passari and the tennis star began dating in mid-2020, just three months after Kyrgios split from Russian tennis star Anna Kalinskaya.
They dated for about 18 months before Kyrgios confirmed in December last year that he was in a new relationship with Costeen Hatzi.
Kyrgios will face Chilean Cristian Garin for a spot in Wednesday night’s Wimbledon semi-finals (AEST), after he shrugged off a shoulder injury to defeat Brandon Nakashima in five sets in the early hours of Tuesday morning.
The Australian was a changed man just two days after his stormy third round victory against Greek fourth-seeded Stefanos Tsitsipas.
Kyrgios looked to be in trouble as Nakashima broke for 4-3 in the fourth and took the set courtesy of a lazy serve game from Kyrgios.
But he rallied in the decider, passed the tournament 100 ace and broke twice to secure the win.
Kyrgios, who needed regular physical therapy, hit 79 winners, including 35 aces.
The last time the 40th-ranked player made it to the last eight at a major was at the Australian Open in 2015, a year after he reached the same podium in his All England Club debut.
But he is seen as a major threat to Nadal, whom he defeated en route to the quarter-finals in 2014.
Kyrgios said he was trying to stay “in the moment”.
“I’m not thinking about lifting a trophy or making it to the semi-finals or making it to the final,” he said.
“I think about my habits every day, just try to do a good performance on the pitch, and then have a good practice session, try to stay positive, really try to break up.
“You know, once I’m off the field, enjoy the time with my team, my girlfriend, and just really enjoy that, then go into game mode.”
The 27-year-old has made it to the quarterfinals after playing two five-set, excited and confused spectators and receiving $14,000 in fines.
“I’m here in the Wimbledon quarter-finals again and I just know there are so many people who are so upset,” Kyrgios said after his most recent win.
His only Grand Slam win this year came in the men’s doubles at the Australian Open, alongside compatriot Thanasi Kokkinakis.
Kyrgios was born and raised in Canberra.