Kevin Spacey firmly denies sexually assaulting three men while appearing in UK court

Actor Kevin Spacey strongly denies allegations that he sexually assaulted three men, a court has said.

The 62-year-old Hollywood star was not asked to plead on four charges of assault and one charge of causing a person to engage in invasive sexual activity without consent when he appeared before the Westminster Magistrates’ Court.

Deputy District Judge Tan Ikram granted him unconditional bail at the end of the 28-minute hearing ahead of his next appearance at Southwark Crown Court on 14 July.

Patrick Gibbs QC, on the defensive, said: “Mr Spacey strongly denies any crime in this case.”

Spacey was surrounded by members of his legal team and two police officers as he climbed out of a silver Mercedes before being ushered into London court amid a media altercation on Thursday morning.

He smiled as he entered the building, but said nothing to the crowd of journalists gathered outside.

Actor Kevin Spacey arrives at Westminster Magistrates’ Court, where he is charged with assaulting three men

(Henry Nicholls/Reuters)

The two-time Oscar winner stood in the dock in a light blue suit, dark spotted tie and white shirt while confirming his name as Kevin Spacey Fowler, confirming his London address in a flat in Waterloo and his date of birth.

The allegations concern three men, now in their thirties and forties, in London and Gloucestershire between 2005 and 2013, while Spacey was the artistic director of The Old Vic Theater in London.

The charges, which were read by the court’s legal counsel, included two assaults on a man, now in his forties, in London in March 2005; assaulting a man, now in his thirties, causing him to engage in unauthorized sexual activity in August 2008 in London; and assault of a man, now in his thirties, in Gloucestershire in April 2013.

Two-time Oscar winner Kevin Spacey was surrounded by security and two police officers as he was led past hordes of photographers to court

(Jonathan Brady/PA)

The Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) cleared charges against him last month, but the American could not be formally charged until he traveled to the UK earlier this week.

Mr Ikram withdrew an arrest warrant issued weeks ago after the court learned that Spacey had arrived in London on Monday to receive a mail order.

Spacey, who is known for starring in american beauty† The usual suspects and House of cardshad previously said he would travel to the UK to face the charges, which he is expected to deny.

In a statement released to Good morning America after the CPS announcement he said: “While I am disappointed with their decision to proceed, I will voluntarily appear in the UK as soon as possible and defend myself against these charges, which I am sure will prove my innocence.” .”

Additional Press Association coverage

Leave a Comment