Kevin Spacey bailed out of UK court for sexual assault

LONDON (AP) – Kevin Spacey is set to prove he is innocent of sex crimes, his lawyer said Thursday, as the Oscar-winning actor appeared in a London court on Thursday to be charged with crimes against three men.

Photographers and television camera crews thronged Spacey, 62, as he arrived at London’s Westminster Magistrates Court for the preliminary hearing.

Spacey sat in the glass dock during the half-hour hearing and rose to give his full name – Kevin Spacey Fowler – as well as his date of birth and an address in London.

He was not asked to submit a formal plea, but his lawyer said he denied the charges.

Deputy Chief Magistrate Tan Ikram granted Spacey unconditional bail until his next appearance, a plea hearing scheduled for July 14.

The former ‘House of Cards’ star is charged with four counts of assault and one count of causing a person to engage in invasive sexual activity without consent.

The alleged incidents took place in London between March 2005 and August 2008 and one in the west of England in April 2013. The victims are now between 30 and 40 years old.

In a statement released last month, Spacey said he would go to court to face the charges and was confident he would “prove my innocence”.

Spacey was questioned by British police in 2019 over claims by several men that he had assaulted them. The two-time Academy Award winner ran the Old Vic theater in London between 2004 and 2015.

Spacey won an Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor for the 1995 film ‘The Usual Suspects’ and an Academy Award for Leading Actor for the 1999 film ‘American Beauty’.

But his celebrated career came to an abrupt halt in 2017 when actor Anthony Rapp accused the star of assaulting him at a party in the 1980s, when Rapp was still a teenager. Spacey denies the allegations.

Leave a Comment