Hydroponic garden fire in South Australia makes elderly man homeless

An elderly South Australian man escaped unharmed from his burning home but was left homeless after a hydroponic garden fire broke out in a neighboring unit in Adelaide.

Firefighters were called to Hall Street in Semaphore at about 6:30 p.m. last night after reports of a unit on fire.

Chris, a neighbor who witnessed the commotion, said smoke was everywhere and flames “flowed from the house”.

Firefighters were called to Hall Street in the South Australian suburb of Semaphore after reports emerged that a unit was on fire. (9News)
A South Australian man escapes unharmed from his home after it went up in flames.
A South Australian man escapes unharmed from his home after it went up in flames. (9News)

The residents of the first burning unit were not at home at the time.

Emergency services struggled to access the burning roof space from the ground before using and sawing a cherry picker to gain access and prevent the fire from spreading further.

It took two hours to completely extinguish the fire and both units were significantly damaged.

Crews discovered the remains of a hydroponic plant that they believe started the fire. Several bags of evidence have been collected and the investigation into the fire is ongoing.

No one was injured in the incident.

Residents of Hall Street gather around the now homeless elderly neighbor.

Leave a Comment