Highland Park shooting: suspect Robert Crimo III disguised himself as a woman to avoid arrest

The man accused of killing six people during an Independence Day parade in Chicago is said to have disguised himself to evade arrest.

A suspect in the July 4 shooting appeared to disguise himself as a woman in an attempt to evade arrest, investigators said.

Robert Crimo III, 22, was arrested Monday night and taken into custody – hours after he allegedly opened fire in Highland Park, a town north of Chicago in the US state of Illinois.

The first shots were reported just after 10 a.m. local time, according to police.

Crimo is accused of opening fire on the parade, leaving six dead and dozens injured the American sun

According to police, Crimo, who was considered armed and dangerous, was arrested just after 6:40 p.m. – more than eight hours after the first shots were heard.

Police believe he was at one point disguised as a woman in an attempt to evade arrest, NBC Chicago TV station reported.

It is unknown if he was wearing the disguise at the time of his arrest.

Crimo was identified as a person of interest after BAFTE (Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives) officials performed a DNA swab on the weapon found at the scene.

Crimo was taken into custody and questioned.

Police have not announced any charges he could face.

Highland Park Mayor Nancy Rotering confirmed that the suspect had legally purchased a gun before the shooting, Fox News reported.

She said it is expected that a complaint will be filed against Crimo on Tuesday.

It has since been revealed that Crimo posted horrifying videos on a YouTube channel that has since been removed.

Crimo reportedly had a verified profile on Spotify and was known as Awake the Rapper. It appears that his account has since been deleted.

He released an EP earlier this year called brainwashed and some songs were titled Dead again and I am the Storm

He released three albums, including: Messages 2017, Observer in 2018, and the self-titled Wake the Rapper for 2021.

Crimo’s IMDB page reveals that he started uploading music to the internet at the age of 11.

‘popping noises’

Witnesses told the Chicago Sun Times that they heard dozens of shots.

Miles Zaremski told the outlet: “I heard 20 to 25 shots, one after the other in quick succession. So it couldn’t have just been a pistol or a shotgun.”

Larry Bloom told NBC Chicago that he heard “popping noises” and thought the noise came from one of the floats.

Construction worker Alexander Sandoval, 39, said he put his son and brother in a dumpster to escape the chaos.

He told the New York Times that he was enjoying the parade when gunshots erupted.

He said: “When it started happening, I thought it was the Navy saluting the flag. Then I grabbed my kid and we ran and tried to break into a shop window to get rid of it.”

He tried to push the door of a locked business while trying to escape before putting two children in a dumpster.

‘I saw her die’

Zoe Pawelczek told CNN she heard a “series of bangs” that she thought were fireworks.

She said she saw a girl shot and killed.

She recalled: “I saw her die. I’ve never seen anything like it.”

Aleks Macys, 53, revealed she drove a woman who had been shot in the head to hospital.

She said the woman’s daughter, who was not named, was crying, “Mommy was shot.”

Michelle Bernstein told the New York Times that her daughters were at friends’ houses and she ordered them to stay inside until the shooter was caught.

Two of the six people killed in the massacre have been named.

Nicolas Toledo, a grandfather, was murdered.

His grandson David told ABC News: “My grandfather was a funny man. He always joked and was playful with his grandchildren. He arrived [in] the US in the 1980’s and worked around the Highland Park area for many years.

His granddaughter Xochil Toledo said he was sitting in his wheelchair when the bullets started flying.

She told WBEZ that her father was trying to “shield” her grandfather.

Ms. Xochil said: “We were all in shock. We were crying. We couldn’t believe what was happening. We couldn’t breathe.”

The Illinois massacre was the 309th mass shooting America has seen this year, according to shocking data collected by the Gun Violence Archive.

The massacre came just weeks after 21 people, including 19 children, were massacred at an elementary school in Uvalde, Texas.

This story appeared in The US Sun and is reproduced with permission.

Leave a Comment