Clarke’s home and connection to the local cheese factory – Stittsville Central

(James Clarke’s home, located in Katimavik, Kanata, and its connection to the Hazeldean Cheese Factory is depicted through this Perpetua Quigley watercolor.)

Stittsville Central is delighted to once again showcase the watercolor sketches and haikus of local artist Perpetua Quigley. Perpetua is currently continuing her love of history by capturing our local historical sites to share with our audience. She will publish Part II of Homesteads, History and Haiku in the future.

Referring to a photo of Roger Young in his presentation “The Lost Village of Hazeldean”: Stittsville Central, the watercolor sketch and haiku is Perpetua Quigley’s interpretation of the connection between the farm and the cheese factory. Perpetua Quigley

Clarke’s Farm and Homestead
Hazeldean’s Cheese Factory
Co-operative

According to the Goulbourn Mirror: February 16, 1977, George Clarke, a lawyer from Tipperary, Ireland, and his wife Margaret Shouldice emigrated to Canada in 1820. They settled in March Township in 1823, set up a farm and house to raise 13 children.

In 1892, one of their descendants, James Clarke, built a stone homestead on the Goulbourn Township Line near Young’s Road. According to Tweedsmuir Dairies “Families and Farms”The Clarke family donated a plot of land in 1902 as their share of the Farmer’s Cooperative Cheese Factory.

In the publication of the Dominion Department of Agriculture – List of Cheese Factories, Creameries and Skimming Stations, Bulletin No. 54, Year 1880 – The description of the Hazeldean Cheese Factory is as follows: Hazeldean Cheese Factory (which produces only cheese) was part of March Township and the noted secretary/owner of the factory was Mr. John A. Cummings whose mailing address is Stittsville. It is interesting to note that Mr John Cummings built Bradley-Craig’s barn.

The Goulbourn Township was known for providing quality products, according to: Roger Young, Acting President of the Goulbourn Township Historical Society.

In 1960, the Clarke family’s land and farm were sold to Kanata Development. The homestead is a heritage property amid houses in Katimavik, Kanata.


SUPPORT LOCAL STITTSVILLE


Leave a Comment