A court in Rwanda has sentenced a Chinese businessman to 20 years in prison for torture after he was filmed hitting a local man last year
KIGALI, Rwanda — A court in Rwanda has sentenced a Chinese businessman to 20 years in prison for torture after he was filmed last year beating a local man.
Sun Shujun had been charged with beating his workers in a case that attracted attention because he was filmed whipping a man to a pole on the ground.
A Rwandan man, Renzaho Alexis, was sentenced to 12 years for his alleged role as an accomplice in the assaults.
The Chinese embassy in Rwanda recognized Tuesday’s verdict in a statement on Wednesday urging Chinese citizens living in Rwanda to abide by local laws.
“Meanwhile, the embassy calls for a rational, fair and equitable resolution of the matter and calls for proper protection of the legitimate rights of Chinese citizens,” the statement said.
Shujun’s victims are said to have been former workers at a mine he operated in rural Rutsiro district. They were allegedly charged with theft.
He was arrested after the video of him hitting a man, also on the head, was widely shared in August. He was later released on bail.
Rwanda court spokesman Harrison Mutabazi said the convict has the right to appeal to a higher court.