Channel 10’s new breakfast bulletin has registered just 44 viewers in Sydney, one of the most dismal ratings in Australian TV history.
Channel 10’s bid to enter the breakfast market has hit a record-breaking start, with the new morning show drawing a whopping 44 viewers in Sydney.
In what could be the worst ever ratings in Australian TV history, 10 News first: breakfast debuted last Monday at 8 a.m. and according to the Australian, it registered just 44 viewers in Sydney on its second day on the air, reaching just 224 viewers in Perth, according to official OzTAM data.
The new program fills a 30-minute slot previously held by Studio 10, which now starts at 8:30am.
The show, led by Lachlan Kennedy in Sydney from Monday to Wednesday and Natasha Exelby in Melbourne on Thursday and Friday, averaged just 17,000 viewers in the five major metropolitan cities in its first five days.
Despite the low ratings, a spokesperson for Ten told the publication that the network was “happy” with the opening week.
“Network 10 is excited to launch 10 News First: Breakfast,” she said. “In the first week, the 2022 average time slot has increased by 13 percent.”
The breakfast TV market is incredibly competitive, with Seven’s sunrise and Nine’s Today both aired from 5:30 a.m. with loyal viewers spanning decades, while ABC News Breakfast has emerged in recent years to compete with them.
On Thursday June 30, sunrise registered an average of 199,000 viewers in the five metropolitan cities, while Today notched 194,000. ABC News Breakfast came in at 121,000.
Channel 7 won the ratings war in 2021, with sunrise securing a top breakfast show for the 18th year in a row despite Today some weeks of the year hot on its tail.
The show marks Ten’s second attempt at a breakfast program, following the now-defunct program Wake up aired in 2013 with Exelby, Natarsha Belling and James Mathison on board as co-hosts.
It was axed after six months on the air.