4 people injured by man in New Zealand stabbing

WELLINGTON, New Zealand — A man injured four people in a stabbing in a New Zealand town on Thursday before bystanders knocked him to the ground, authorities said.

The precinct commander Naila Hassan said the Auckland attack suspect was in custody.

“This was an extremely rapid incident, with our police personnel responding quickly, arresting the perpetrator and preventing further damage to our communities,” Hassan said.

A motive for the attack was not immediately clear.

New Zealand was the scene of two violent stabbings in supermarkets last year. One was considered a terror attack, while a judge found no motive could be linked to the other attack.

Last September, a Muslim extremist inspired by the Islamic State group stabbed five people in an Auckland supermarket before police shot him dead. Three of those he stabbed were seriously injured and two other people were also injured in the fight, but all survived.

And in May last year, shoppers and staff at a Dunedin supermarket managed to stop a madman from hurting others after stabbing four people in a random attack, in which three of them were seriously injured.

The Dunedin attacker, 43-year-old Luke Lambert, was convicted on four counts of attempted murder and sentenced to 13 years in prison.

Leave a Comment